Nova Mundi Forum

The Shops Mod, Tutorial and FAQs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Shops Mod, Tutorial and FAQs

Post  Cad'ika Orade on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm

As everyone probably knows, Nova Mundi has recently added a system for making shops with signs and chests. I apologize that it isn't as straightforward as many people might like, but this is the simplest shops mod I have found yet. While I have tried to make a simple tutorial on signs in City Hall, a more detailed tutorial could be of use.

Making a shop:
1. Place a sign on a wall anyplace with room for a chest directly below it.
2. On the first line of the sign, type the name of the item your shop will buy and/or sell, in square brackets. I.e. [Cobblestone]
3. On the second line, type "Buy X for Yc", where X is the amount of the item your customers can buy at once for a price of Y, and "c" is the currency symbol. More on currencies below. You only need the "Buy" line if you want customers to buy things from your shop. Otherwise, skip to line 3.
4. On the third line, type "Sell X for Yc", where X is the amount of the item you want your customers to sell to you in exchange for a price of Y, and "c" is again the currency. More on currencies below. You only need the "Sell" line if you want customers to sell things to your shop.
5. DON'T write anything on the fourth line. IF you formatted the sign correctly, the server will add your name to the last line automatically. If it does not, you did something wrong. Ask an Admin or check the FAQs below.
6. Place a chest directly below the sign. If people are going to buy things from the shop, place some of those things in the chest. If people are going to sell things to your shop, put some of your selected currency in the chest.
7. Check back at your shop regularly to restock it with items and currency.

How to buy from or sell to a shop:
1. To buy from a shop, hold a stack of currency in your hand and right-click the sign. If you have enough currency, your currency will be deducted and the purchased items will pop up on your inventory.
2. To sell to a shop, hold a stack of the shop's item in your hand and right-click the sign. If you have enough of that item, they will vanish from your inventory and be replaced with currency.

FAQs

- What are the rules about shops? There are none. At least, not right now. This is a Free Market economy and I am watching carefully to see how it grows. Just because someone else is selling something doesn't mean you cant sell the same thing at a lower price. We have a public marketplace, but you can make your shops anywhere you want. Take advantage of it!

- Won't people just take things out of the chests? No. Once you make a shop sign correctly and place the chest, you and you alone can open that chest. You shop is burglar-proof.

- The sign won't add my name! First, that isn't a question. Second, this means that you sign is wrong in some way. Check the example signs below, or other shop signs in City Hall or the Market to make sure you are typing everything right. Most typically, the problem is with the first line. The name of the item is VERY picky. For example [Iron Bar] does not work but [Iron Ingot] does work.

Currencies
Pretty much any item can be declared a currency, but it is up to the Admin to do so. Below is a list of all existing currencies, along with the currency symbol you would use on your signs in place of "c" above.

g = Gold Ingot
i = Iron Ingot
e = Emerald
d = Diamond
b = Gold Nugget (We're calling them "Bits". User request.)

Note: This many currencies is rather absurd, and confusing for customers to remember all the letters. As such, it is currently planned to eliminate the less popular currencies leaving only Gold Ingots and Gold Nuggets (Bits), which function essentially as dollars and cents.

Example Signs:
Here are a few example signs, written as you would type them in-game.

(I'm selling 64 cobblestone for 1 gold ingot)
Code:

[Cobblestone]
Buy 64 for 1g
(I leave this line blank)

(I'm buying 64 cobblestone for 1 gold ingot)
Code:

[Cobblestone]
Sell 64 for 1g

(I'm selling 32 cobblestone for 1 gold ingot, and buying 64 cobblestone for 1 bit)
Code:

[Cobblestone]
Buy 32 for 1g
Sell 64 for 1b

Cad'ika Orade
Admin

XP : 1965

View user profile http://nova-mundi.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Great System!

Post  TorchuVadergear on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 am

I am really enjoying the shops system in this server. I have a few shops, but most prominently I'd like to bring attention to the public market!

When you go to /spawn, immediately to your right is the market. The market includes a bunch of chests that can be used for shops, and decoration is allowed. If you find an unmarked, unused chest in the market, you are free to set up a shop there.

I've claimed the second floor in the name of the Torch Run Guild. Expect a flurry of shops up there in the near-future.

Also, on the first floor, StickyCrafter (AKA: TorchuPanda) has created a tutorial which guides shop owners with the process of placing an item frame directly on their shop chest.

Please take notice of the elevator as well. At the back of every room in the public market are three signs. Two of them will say up or down (depending on what floor you're on) and the middle sign will tell you which floor you're on. You can right-click on a sign to literally go up or down a level. It's just like pressing buttons on an elevator! Of course, it should be self-explanatory as to which sign you should use. If you right click on a sign which reads [up] you will go up exactly one floor. If you right-click on a sign which reads [down] you will go down exactly one floor.

-Skylark (AKA: TorchuVadergear)
TorchuVadergear
Admin

XP : 1997

View user profile http://skylark-torch.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top